What is transmission media?
Here, transmission media defines the same procedure. It’s a medium in which data or information is sent from one location (maybe a device) to another location (another device) for telecommunication with perfection & accuracy. This transmission depends on various types of medium like electromagnetic waves (using wireless), various cables (wired).
How many types of transmission Media are there?
Currently, Transmission Media is using two methods – 1. Guided Media, 2. Unguided Media.
What is Guided Media?
Guided or bounded media means the transportation of data from one device to another device through the wired system or path. In this process, data don’t scatter away everywhere. The electrical waves get the bodily guided path through wired custom or style.
What are the types of guided transmission media?
- Twisted Pair Cable. Unshielded twisted pair(UTP) cable. Shielded twisted pair(STP) cable.
- Coaxial cable.
- Fibre Optics Cable.
Twisted Pair Cable
- Unshielded Twisted Pair(UTP).
- Shielded Twisted Pair. (STP).
Unshielded Twisted Pair. (UTP)
Feature & advantage at a time
- Effectively low & user-friendly rate.
- Installation procedure haphazard less.
- Flexible. So the use at an increasing rate. (bendable)
- From low to higher speed capacity.
- Best for LAN(cable internet) connection.
Shielded Twisted Pair Cable(STP)
After reading about the Unshielded twisted pair (UTP), this is definitely going to be almost the same except the shiels of metal foil all over the wire inside the cable jacket.
It is simply copper wired cable connecting computers, telephones in domestic & more in commercial uses. When the UTP cable is unable to provide service in some sensitive situation like close to any kind of motor, light, or human reach, the STP cable provides the best service with a special guard shield for maximum durability.
Types of STP cable
Generally, two types of STP cable can be seen in the market; one is Foil Shielded Cable & another is Braided Shielded Cable.
Foil Shielded Cable is made of tin foil all over each twisted pair of wire inside the cable. It mainly reduces overflowing waves of EMI(electromagnetic interference) or RFI( Radio- frequency Interference) from hampering cable’s performance. The tin-foil is wrapped inside the Aluminium or copper foil.
Braided Foil Shield is a traditional method of shielding. The inside wires are wrapped with foil like a braid. Unlike foil shielded cable its method of shielding process is braided rather than complete wrapping shielded cable.
- Prevents excess EMI or RFI waves.
- One of the oldest cabling methods.
- Easy to install.
- Reduces crosstalk.
- Use in both digital & analog system.
- Takes much time while manufacturing.
- Heavy in weight
Axial refers to the main path which is the long core or inner portion, made of long copper wire of the thin cable. From previous years to today, it is widely used for providing cable lines or channels for television, satellite, cable modems.
The basic or center copper wire is covered with a plastic rounded shape. The outside part is covered with copper plexus, wrapped finely. It helps in preventing Electromagnetic Interference. The total wire is covered with a plastic(black) jacket.
- Available in the market.
- Facilitate system of installation.
- Secured for preventing EMI waves.
- Low at a useful price.
- Expands widely & covers a long distance.
- Data transmission speed upto 10Mbps.
- Medium type of RFI protection power.
- A small issue in the connection may disturb the data or Radio-frequency waves.
Fibre Optics is generally used for computer-based workings or programs.
It is a high-speed data transmission medium, containing small glass or plastic filaments carrying light beams. High-speed digital data is sent through this special type of cable with the speed of light. It is possible due to the glass staff in the core.
Fibre Optics transfers signal for longer distances, far better than Coaxial & Twisted pair cable. Its potential for carrying data consists of greater speed. Online video streaming, Video calling use Internet & ethernet signals with bandwidth up to 2Gbps.
For Ultra Modern communication, it helps in transferring data at Ultrafast speed.
- Holds the best data transmission speed. (up to 2Gbps).
- Super energy-saving &effectless for EMI interference.
- Installation is tough. So, a trained worker needed during installations.
- Not used for general purposes.